Monday, April 18, 2011

Hokkaido

Yummy!! That is the first word that comes to mind when I think of Hokkaido. And that is exactly what it was when I went for my girl's night out last week. Check out their website for more information.
Most of the time when I go to Hokkaido, I sit in the front room and not at the hibachi grill. I forget how much fun sitting at the hibachi can be! Here is a short video of the chef cooking rice!
So, Laura and I started off with sushi. I wanted to try something new this visit and I am so glad I did. We went with the Roll Tide Roll. As the name might indicate, this is a top notch sushi roll. It has fried shrimp, avocado, cream cheese, spicy mayo, topped with tuna and the shrimp sauce and eel sauce drizzled on top of that. Of course, if you know anything about sushi, you know that some rolls are cooked and some are raw. This was a combination roll so you want to make sure you are cool with raw tuna before you order it. It was, however, one of the best rolls I have ever had. It was delicious. And, as with most of Hokkaido's rolls, it is definitely big enough to share. See for yourself.

If you order at the hibachi grill, you get to choose your meat, or if you prefer, just veggies. After the whole table orders, they bring out the soup and salad. Pace yourself! There is a lot of food to be eaten at a Japanese steak house, and it's all good.  Once you finish salads and soups, the chef comes to entertain and cook your food to order right in front of you. This is one reason that Hokkaido is a great idea for a family night out. There is entertainment for the kids.

I love scallops. But for some reason, I don't think I have ever ordered them at a Japanese steak house. These scallops were some of the best I have ever tasted, no exaggeration and the shrimp was delicious as always. Of course, we also had fried rice and veggies too. A couple of the people at the table actually asked for no veggies and double rice, but Laura and I were good and ate our zucchini, onions, and my favorite, the mushrooms. You can see the plate FULL of food that you end up getting. You can see the bowl of shrimp sauce in the background of this picture. This is some of the BEST shrimp sauce ever. And, they are very nice to keep refilling your bowl if you need it :).



At the end of this meal, there was no eating dessert. I had stuffed myself until I was ready to pop! This meal was absolutely delicious and as I type this I am wishing I was going back again tonight for more. I tried to be as authentic as possible and ate with chopsticks. Here is the picture. I think I did pretty well. I didn't shoot the food across the table or drop anything on me, at least.

You can buy a $50 gift certifcate for only $25 starting April 22nd at 10am. Just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment